Are you ready for a Super Too Cool technique? Then, I know you're gonna LOVE this!
It's called Double Texture Embossing and it uses two (or more!) Texture Impressions Folders on one background. I especially love it with the oval frame from the Designer Frames Impressions Folders set. Let's see Two Cool examples!
You can see the background is textured in Vintage Wallpaper, and the center has the elegant embossed oval design…all on one sheet of card stock!
Here is the background up close and without the butterfly embellishment, so you can see the full effect of the Double Texture Embossing…
Super Too Cool! Let's learn how to create it!
Double Texture Embossing How-Tos
You can do this technique with any texture embossing folders combined with different shapes of heavy chipboard. If you want to use the oval from Designer Frames, though, the easiest way is to use die-cut chipboard with the Ovals Die…
These ovals are the PERFECT size to use with the oval Designer Frames Impressions Folder! We'll be using the medium-sized oval for this project. First, I die-cut the ovals from heavy chipboard. My chipboard came with the Glimmer Paper, which is much heavier than the chipboard in most Designer Series Paper packs. You can use the thinner chipboard, but I would adhere 2 or 3 of those together to create the correct thickness. You could also use the On Board Chipboard.
I used the medium-size oval to create a template on a 4" x 5-1/4" piece of heavy chipboard. I drew around the oval where I wanted my embossed shape to be on my finished card background, then I cut the shape out with Paper Snips. It was way too thick to use my craft knife. You can see that I cut from the edge…that's OK, because you won't see that cut line.
OK, now we are ready to emboss!
Add a 4" x 5-1/4" sheet of Whisper White card stock between the Vintage Wallpaper Impressions Folder, then place the chipboard template on top of the closed folder.
The Big Shot sandwich is a little different than a normal embossing sandwich. Layer in this order from bottom to top:
- Multipurpose Platform closed to Tab 2 (normally it's on Tab 1 for embossing)
- Impression Folder with your card stock inside
- Chipboard template carefully positioned where you want the blank oval to be
- Cutting Pad (normally there are 2 cutting pads, but you only need 1 for this)
After running it through, you'll have a blank oval space on your background.
Now, we'll use the oval Designer Frame. Position that over the blank space on your card stock.
Add the medium-sized oval over the top of the embossing folder. Run through the Big Shot using the same sandwich recipe as before: Multipurpose Pad, embossing folder with card stock inside, chipboard oval, cutting pad.
You can also do the reverse: Vintage Wallpaper inside the oval Designer Frame.
Start by embossing with the Designer Frame. I recommend using the chipboard sandwich above, because that will ensure that you won't get any creases from the edges of this smaller folder on your card stock.
Next, you'll put your oval-embossed card stock inside the Vintage Wallpaper folder, carefully lining up the oval with the center of one of the flourishes. To only get the embossing inside the center of the embossed oval, you'll center the smallest chipboard oval on top. That small oval fits perfectly inside the embossed outer edges of the Designer Frame!
The results are a fantastic double embossed medallion! Love it!
Can you see how you can layer the textured embossing depending on what size and shape your chipboard is? Try experimenting with squares, rectangles, circles, hearts, and borders. Endless possibilities!
Double Embossing Butterfly Cards Details
For the stamped background inside the ovals, I stamped a background image in Wisteria Wonder, then punched it out with the coordinating Extra Large Oval Punch. I used the floral background design from Clearly For You on card #1 and the words background design from Charming.
The butterflies are from Creative Elements. I stamped one time in Concord Crush and one time in Rich Razzleberry with some Concord Crush marker on the edges of the wings. After cutting them out with Paper Snips, I layered them with a small Concord or Razzleberry die-cut butterfly from the Beautiful Wings Embosslit. All of my butterflies love Pearl or Rhinestone Jewel bodies…it's a must!
The greeting is from Teeny Tiny Wishes and the skinny banner is fish-tailed with the 1" Square Punch.
Complete Supplies List:
- Stamps—Creative Elements, Clearly For You (card #1), Charming (card #2), Teeny Tiny Wishes
Ink—Concord Crush Markers; Concord Crush, Rich Razzleberry Classic Ink
Paper—Concord Crush, Rich Razzleberry and Whisper White card stock
- Accessories—Pearl Jewels (card #1), Rhinestone Jewels (card #2), On Board Chipboard
- Tools—Big Shot, Ovals Die, Vintage Wallpaper Impressions Folder, Designer Frames Impressions Folders, Beautiful Wings Embosslit, 1" Square Punch, Paper Snips, Dimensionals, SNAIL
See all Sale-A-Bration (SAB) selections in the Sale-A-Bration Flyer PDF.
Shop online for these and more new products from the Occasions Mini Catalog!
* * * * *
3 Easy Ways To Earn FREE Products!
- Spend $50—For every $50 order, you can select one FREE Sale-A-Bration product of your choice! Order Online now!
- Host A Workshop—Host a workshop of at least $150 and earn a FREE Sale-A-Bration Tote. Host a workshop of $400, earn a FREE Sale-A-Bration Bundle. All this, plus the generous hostess benefits! Contact me today!
- Join Stampin' Up!—Become a demonstrator during Sale-A-Bration, and receive $50 off your Starter Kit! Plus, receive FREE Designer Series Paper or digital download EVERY month for the rest of 2012! Sign up today!