- Buy 3, Get 1 FREE Designer Series Paper! See details.
- Just Released—Best of Shelli Collector Set! See details.
Hi Stamping Friends!
I completely adore the new Wetlands stamp set, and when I saw today's card design on Pinterest, I knew I had to duplicate it!
I used simple masking and sponging techniques to create the beautiful ocean scene on these two cool cards.
CASEd from Ingrid Blackburn at The Creative Grove.
I created the scene on a piece of 5-1/4" x 4" Whisper White, then adhered it to a Soft Sky card base.
It's really not as hard as it looks, you just need to apply the colors
and images in a certain order for best results for the blended colors
(and for not smearing inks). Here is the order I applied the colors and
- Tear an edge off of a piece of copy paper that's long enough to cover your card stock.
- Lay your torn edge across the top of the card stock to create a mask, then sponge on Island Indigo ink along the edge. TIP: You could use a brayer here, but I found I had more control with a sponge.
- Sponge on Soft Sky ink to soften the Island Indigo color and blend it toward the center of the card stock panel.
- Tear another side of the copy paper to create a mask along the bottom, leaving ample room for a sentiment.
- Lightly sponge along the bottom mask with Sahara Sand. Blend toward the Soft Sky ink.
- Using a straight edge of the copy paper, sponge an Island Indigo horizon line higher than the Sahara Sand color.
- Replace the bottom mask and stamp the reed images in Wild Wasabi to create a focal frame.
- Stamp the sandpipers along the water's edge in Early Espresso.
- Stamp the sentiment in Early Espresso.
I love the serene look of this ocean scene. It makes a great card for masculine birthdays, thinking of you, as well as sympathy cards. So pretty!
Sponging TIP: When sponging, you're bound to get ink on your fingers, so be careful not to transfer fingerprints of ink onto your scene. Clean off your fingers with a baby wipe before going to the next step. Ask me how I know…
Optional: You could add White Gel Pen marks in the ocean to indicate waves, or even add some Dazzling Diamonds glitter to the birds' reflections for interest. I decided to keep mine simple instead.
Complete Supply List:
- Stamps—Wetlands (wood)
- Ink—Island Indigo, Soft Sky, Sahara Sand, Early Espresso and Wild Wasabi Classic Ink
- Paper—Scrap print paper, Soft Sky and Whisper White card stock
- Tools—Sponges, SNAIL
Find all the supplies to create these projects & more at my Online Store!